It’s getting warmer every day and when I’m thinking of a cheese to snack on or to top my favorite sandwich I reach for the Coborn’s May “Cheese of the Month”, Castello Havarti. This semi soft cheese has a buttery, creamy taste and a mellow aroma. It’s a versatile, gourmet cheese that’s easy to cook with and delicious as a snack.
Havarti originated in Denmark in the 1800’s and is named for Havartigaard, the dairy where it was invented. Castello master Danish cheese makers continue this proud tradition, and today Havarti is favored around the world by home cooks and professional chefs alike.
To give your favorite dishes a twist, try Castello Havarti Creamy:
- As a Snack, sliced in sticks and drizzled with honey, preserves or chutney
- On a Gourmet sandwich, such as a Panini, grilled cheese or slider
- In Comfort Food, such as macaroni and cheese or French onion soup
- On a Cheese Board, with subtly sweet and savory pairings
- Pairs well with Pinot Noir, Pilsner or sparking apple cider
Or you can try this creamy, delicious recipe I have provided for you here.
Cauliflower Macaroni & Havarti Cheese
- 1 Head Cauliflower, cut into small florets
- To Taste Salt
- To Taste Black Pepper, freshly ground
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- ½ Cup Mascarpone
- 1 Cup Castello® Creamy Havarti
- To Taste Hot Sauce
- ½ Cup Chives, finely chopped
- ½ Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add salt to water.
- Place cauliflower florets to the water and cook until tender but still crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Drain well, pat dry and set aside.
- Preheat your broiler to high.
- While preheating oven, in a 2-quart sauce pan add the cream, salt, pepper and hot sauce to the pan and bring it to simmer on medium heat.
- Reduce the cream by ⅓, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk in Mascarpone and Havarti.
- Keep the sauce at a simmer, the sauce will be slightly thickened at this point.
- Add in cauliflower and chives, stirring well to coat the cauliflower.
- Pour into oven-proof dish and top with breadcrumbs in an even layer.
- Place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly.
- Remove from the broiler and let set for 5 minutes before serving.
So when you are trying to come up with a tasty cheese that will tantalize your taste buds, try our May “Cheese of the Month” Castello Havarti!
Coborn’s, Inc. Director of Deli
Click Here for more articles written by Kevin