St. Patrick’s Day is coming up fast! Get ready to celebrate with some traditional Irish meals!
Start the week off with this delicious recipe to get in the St. Patty’s Day spirit!
- 2 whole yellow onions, peeled
- 6 whole cloves
- 3½ lbs corned beef, preferably bottom round
- 3 whole carrots, peeled and cut into thirds
- 2 bay leaf(s)
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 1 medium whole head green cabbage
- 5 whole russet potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- hot-sweet mustard, to taste (optional)
- Stud onions with cloves. Rinse corned beef in cold water to remove brine. Put beef in a large pot and add onions, carrots, bay leaves, peppercorns, and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 2 hours, skimming occasionally.
- Wash cabbage, remove core and any torn leaves, then cut into 6 wedges. Add cabbage and potatoes to beef, then cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer beef to a cutting board and cover with a plate weighted with heavy cans (weighting makes meat easier to slice).
- Transfer onions, carrots, cabbage, and potatoes to a platter. Remove cloves from onions. Strain cooking liquid, discarding bay leaves and peppercorns. Return liquid to pot and cook over high heat until reduced by one-third, 20 - 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Return vegetables to stock and heat through for about 5 minutes. Remove plate and cans from meat and cut across the grain, in ¼ inch-thick slices. Arrange beef and vegetables on warmed platter. Moisten with stock. Serve with additional stock and hot mustard if you like.
Serve your Reuben with potato salad, potato chips, pickles or coleslaw.
Can’t go wrong with fish and chips! Also a great meal for the Lenten Season.
This week’s Dietitian’s Choice Recipe is one you’ll want to make again and again!
- 32 oz low sodium chicken broth
- 16 oz boneless, chicken breasts
- 15 oz can cannellini beans
- 15 oz can no salt added black beans
- 16 Oz. salsa verde
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2-3 Tbsp corn starch
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6 hours, until chicken is cooked through. Shred chicken with a fork and return to slow cooker. Mix well.
- Serve with desired toppings.
crumbled tortilla chips