“I love gouda!” Apparently so do a lot of people; gouda makes up over 50% of all cheese consumed in the world!
‘How-da’ as the locals say, is a Dutch cheese named after the city of Gouda in the Netherlands. With variations such as; age of cheese, type of milk used and different flavors and spices you’re sure to find a gouda to meet your needs.
Van Kaas Smoked Gouda is made in Holland from cow’s milk and naturally smoked over hickory wood. It has a golden body with rich flavors of butterscotch and undertones of caramel and coffee. This cheese would make a great addition to any recipe or simply paired with a glass of Zinfandel or a Pale Ale Beer. Oh, and don’t forget to tie in your favorite cracker or crusty bread!
So when you’re looking for a pleasant, well rounded cheese this summer, try Van Kaas Smoked Gouda. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
Remember cheese is fun!
Van Kaas Smoked Gouda Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb. Package Short Pasta (Penne, Elbow Macaroni, etc.)
- 4 T. Butter
- 4 T. All-Purpose Flour
- 4 Cups Milk
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Fresh Ground Pepper
- ½ tsp. Paprika
- 8 Oz. Block Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, grated and divided (about 2 cups)
- 8 Oz. Block Van Kaas Smoked Gouda Cheese, grated and divided (about 2 cups)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth.
- Continue whisking and cook for 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Whisking constantly, cook for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in salt, black pepper and most of the cheese, reserving about a cup of cheese.
- Pour the pasta in a lightly greased 8 x 11 x 2 baking dish.
- Spoon cheese sauce over the pasta, stirring lightly to even out the sauce in the pan.
- Sprinkle top with remaining cup of cheese and paprika.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
- Remove from oven, and prepare yourself for out-of-this world macaroni and cheese.
Van Kaas Smoked Gouda Stuffed Pork Chops
- ¼ lb. Van Kaas Smoked Gouda Cheese, shredded
- 8 Slices Bacon, cooked & crumbled
- ½ Cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- ¼ tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 4- 2 ¼ inch thick Center-Cut, Bone-in Pork Chops
- 2 tsp. Olive Oil
- ½ tsp. Salt
- Lightly oil the grill grate.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese, bacon, parsley, and ⅛ teaspoon black pepper.
- Lay the chop flat on cutting board, and with a sharp knife held parallel to the board, cut a pocket into the pork, going all the way to the bone, but leaving the sides intact.
- Stuff cheese mixture into pocket.
- Close pork chop with a wooden toothpick.
- Brush meat with oil, and season with salt and more black pepper.
- Grill over medium heat 5 to 8 minutes on each side, or until pork is done.
- Careful not to overcook!
Coborn’s, Inc. Director of Deli
Click Here for more articles written by Kevin.