Well, folks, summer isn’t quite here yet and that means we still have to put up with a few chilly days. So why not spend some time in the kitchen cooking a decadent, creamy Gouda cheese soup? More precisely, one that’s Gouda for you…
Feel free to experiment with this one and try using different Goudas, such as smoked vs. plain. We have quite a few Goudas to choose from at our Coborn’s Deli departments in the gourmet cheese case. Each one truly has a different personality. One of my favorites is the Van Kaas Gouda, which is imported from Holland. It is available as both smoked and plain.
- ½ Cup Butter, cubed
- ½ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp. Ground Allspice
- 32 oz. Chicken Broth
- ½ Cup Sherry or additional Chicken Broth
- ½ Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- ½ Lb. Fresh Mushrooms, sliced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 Cups (8 oz.) Smoked Gouda Cheese, shredded
- Chives and Smoked Paprika
- In a large saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in the flour, pepper and allspice until smooth; gradually add the broth, sherry and cream.
- Bring to a boil, and then add mushrooms and garlic.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Add cheese; cook and stir until melted.
- Garnish servings with chives and paprika.
Cheese Specialist, Coborn’s Sauk Rapids, MN
Click Here for more blogs written by James