Happy Summer, Everyone!
Now this blog is especially for those over 21! I know there are alcoholic beverages served at many summer events and celebrations, so I am here to give you some tips are how to enjoy some beverages with lower calorie counts and less sugar. I always talk against having liquid calories, as they can add up so quickly. Especially when you are sipping on them in the hot sun, it can be hard to keep track of how many you consumed!
It is important to note that when you are consuming alcohol, for every one alcoholic beverage you should have at least one glass of water in order to stay hydrated.
As I have stated many times, it is always better to make your own food and beverages at home, rather than always buying them. That way, you can control the amounts of sugar, sodium, and fats in your food and drinks, although I am pretty sure you don’t have to monitor the fats in margaritas. Did you know that the average happy hour margarita has more than 400 calories… WOW! The added bonus to cooking at home is that it’s WAY cheaper!
So, now that I have convinced you to make your own margaritas at home, that doesn’t mean you should just buy the premix and add liquor. Many of the margarita mixes that you just add liquor to can have more 300 calories in a single drink – not to mention nearly 75 grams of added sugar! Oh my gosh! We should have no more than 25 grams of added sugar per day! Now, not all of the pre-made drinks are that high in sugar; you can find some that are around 25 grams, which is still considered high, as that is the amount we are allocated for the entire day.
I would rather you receive at least some nutritional value when you are consuming added sugar and we all know a margaritas is not the most nutrient dense drink out there. Nonetheless, here are some better-for-you margarita recipes, which are MUCH lower in added sugars, have fewer calories, and that use whole fruits in the recipes to provide at least some nutrition. However, this does not equate these to being “healthy” and you still have to practice proper portions and responsible drinking.
Original Gulit-free Margarita – 130 Calories
- 1 Ounce Premium or Silver Tequila
- ½ Ounce Cointreau or Grand Marnier
- 1.5 Ounces Fresh-Squeezed Lime Juice
- Combine ingredients
- Shake with ¾ cup ice
- Garnish with lime and serve
Guilt-free Watermelon Margarita – 105 Calories
- 1 Lime Wedge
- 3½ Cups Cubed Seedless Watermelon
- ½ Cup Tequila
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Triple Sec (orange-flavored liqueur)
- Lime Wedges or Watermelon Balls (optional)
- Place 2 teaspoons sugar in a saucer
- Rub the rims of 6 glasses with 1 lime wedge
- Set prepared glasses aside
- Combine watermelon and next 4 ingredients (through Triple Sec) in a blender; process until smooth.
- Fill each prepared glass with ½ cup crushed ice
- Add ½ cup margarita to each glass
- Garnish with lime wedges or melon balls, if desired
Guilt-free Mango-Avocdo Margarita – 162 Calories
- 2 Cups Ice Cubes
- 1 Cup Mango (about 1 large), chopped and peeled
- 6 Tablespoons Ripe Avocado, chopped and peeled
- 6 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- ¼ Cup Tequila
- ¼ Cup Orange Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Triple Sec (Orange-Flavored Liqueur)
- 4 Lime Wedges (optional)
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a blender; process until smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly among 4 glasses.
- Serve drinks with lime wedges, if desired. Serve immediately.
I highly recommend doing that! It sounds crazy, but it’s fabulous!
Guilt-free Strawberry Margarita – 198 Calories
- 3½ Cups Strawberries
- 2½ Cups Crushed Ice
- ½ Cup Tequila
- ½ Cup Fresh Lime Juice
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Cointreau (Orange-Flavored Liqueur)
- Lime Wedges (optional)
- Combine strawberries, ice, tequila, lime juice, sugar, and liqueur in a blender. Process until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the margaritas into 4 large glasses.
- Garnish margaritas with a lime wedge, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Guilt-free Blackberry Margarita – 204 Calories
- ½ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Lime
- 1 Cup Water
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup 100% Agave Blanco Tequila
- ¾ Cup Grand Marnier
- ⅔ Cup Fresh Lime Juice
- 12 Ounces Fresh Blackberries
- Combine 1½ tablespoons granulated sugar and kosher salt in a dish.
- Cut lime into 9 wedges; rub rims of 8 glasses with 1 lime wedge.
- Dip rims of glasses in salt mixture.
- Combine water and ½ cup sugar in a microwave-safe glass measuring cup. Microwave on high for 2½ minutes, stirring to dissolve sugar; cool.
- Combine syrup, tequila, Grand Marnier, fresh lime juice, and blackberries in a blender; process until smooth.
- Strain mixture through a cheesecloth-lined sieve over a pitcher; discard solids. Serve over ice.
- Garnish with remaining lime wedges.
There you have it! Lower calorie, guilt-free margaritas fit for any summertime gathering, if your guests are 21 and over. Here are a couple tips to keep in mind. I used real sugar, but to cut even more calories and to have no sugar in your beverages, you can use Splenda or stevia. Note: I didn’t put any salt or sugar on the rim of my glasses in order to save a few calories and unnecessary sodium. Also add fruit for flavor. You will notice with all of these that I use whole fruits – no pre-made mixes here. They don’t have to be fresh. You can use frozen fruits, which are less work because they are pre-washed and all cut up; plus you could even eliminate some of the ice you need to add by using frozen fruits. Finally, practice good portion control!
I hope you enjoy these refreshing, guilt-free margaritas!
Peace and Wellness,
Coborn’s Supermarket Dietitian
Click Here for more articles written by Ashley