Ahhh , summertime, a great time to be outdoors…..biking, hiking, going to the park. I know for me, these activities don’t happen without some type of accompaniment and I don’t just mean the music. There always has to be a snack or two! Below I have listed some snack ideas that you can bring with wherever you go to enjoy the summer weather without worrying about bringing a cooler to keep them cold. Also, don’t forget the antibacterial wipes to clean your hands before you snack.
- Trail Mix – be adventuresome and put together your own trail mix by combining items like:
- Raisins and other dried fruit
- Popcorn and dry cereal
- Nuts and seeds
- Whole fruits: apples, oranges, bananas, peaches, etc (keep them whole and of course, wash them first!) Two things to keep in mind about fruits, and vegetables for that matter, even if you don’t eat the peel, they must be washed first because bacteria can reside on the surface AND once you cut them up, they now require refrigeration. So keep them whole until you are ready to eat them.
- Tuna snack packs with crackers. Keep the package of tuna sealed until ready to eat.
- And, the ole standby of peanut butter and jelly always works, too!
Coborn’s RD Food Safety Coordinator
Click Here for more articles written by Kim